abduction case – Newswire https://www.newswire.lk Sri Lanka's largest News aggregator Wed, 10 Jun 2026 05:37:46 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=6.8.6 https://www.newswire.lk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/favicon.png abduction case – Newswire https://www.newswire.lk 32 32 Ex‑Navy Commander named suspect in Colombo abductions probe https://www.newswire.lk/2026/06/10/ex%e2%80%91navy-commander-named-suspect-in-colombo-abductions-probe/ Wed, 10 Jun 2026 05:37:46 +0000 https://www.newswire.lk/?p=239864

Former Navy Commander Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne has been officially named as a suspect in connection with the alleged abduction andContinue Reading

The post Ex‑Navy Commander named suspect in Colombo abductions probe appeared first on Newswire.

]]>

Former Navy Commander Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne has been officially named as a suspect in connection with the alleged abduction and disappearance of 11 individuals in Colombo and surrounding areas, incidents said to have been carried out for ransom.

Court officials have issued notice requiring him to appear before the Colombo Magistrate’s Court on July 27. 

The case relates to a series of alleged abductions that reportedly took place between 2008 and 2009. (Newswire)

The post Ex‑Navy Commander named suspect in Colombo abductions probe appeared first on Newswire.

]]>
Jaffna Court orders Gotabaya Rajapaksa to submit affidavit on alleged threats in abduction case https://www.newswire.lk/2025/12/11/jaffna-court-orders-gotabaya-rajapaksa-to-submit-affidavit-on-alleged-threats-in-abduction-case/ Thu, 11 Dec 2025 08:03:07 +0000 https://www.newswire.lk/?p=214689

The Jaffna Magistrate’s Court ordered former President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to submit, through an affidavit, the relevant facts if there areContinue Reading

The post Jaffna Court orders Gotabaya Rajapaksa to submit affidavit on alleged threats in abduction case appeared first on Newswire.

]]>

The Jaffna Magistrate’s Court ordered former President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to submit, through an affidavit, the relevant facts if there are threats to his life, after he failed to appear in court in connection with the 14-year-old abduction case of Lalith Kumar Weeraraju and Kugan Muruganandan.

Lalith Kumar Weeraraju and Kugan Muruganandan were kidnapped in Jaffna on 10 December 2011, while preparations were underway for World Human Rights Day celebrations.

Gotabaya Rajapaksa failed to appear in court once again yesterday, with his lawyers citing threats to his life as the reason for his absence. The court emphasized that any such threats must be presented formally to allow the proceedings to continue.

Speaking to the media, Lawyer  Nuwan Bopage said that previously Rajapaksa had given an undertaking to the Supreme Court that he was willing to give evidence in the inquiry before the Magistrate Court of Jaffna regarding the case, due to which the case was called before the Magistrate Court of Jaffna yesterday (10).

However, due to certain undisclosed “security concerns”, he was seeking to give evidence by way of contemporaneous electronic audiovisual. 

Lawyer Nuwan Bopege said that on behalf of the petitioners, he objected to the application, stating that he should come before the court and physically give evidence. 

Taking into consideration the facts presented during the case proceedings yesterday, the Jaffna Magistrate’s Court instructed former President Gotabaya Rajapaksa that the submission must be made by 6 February 2026. (Newswire)

The post Jaffna Court orders Gotabaya Rajapaksa to submit affidavit on alleged threats in abduction case appeared first on Newswire.

]]>
Two judges recuse themselves from the Karannagoda abduction case https://www.newswire.lk/2025/03/29/two-judges-recuse-themselves-from-the-karannagoda-abduction-case/ Sat, 29 Mar 2025 05:23:13 +0000 http://www.newswire.lk/?p=181059

Two Supreme Court judges have recused themselves from hearing the petitions filed related to former Navy Commander, Admiral of theContinue Reading

The post Two judges recuse themselves from the Karannagoda abduction case appeared first on Newswire.

]]>

Two Supreme Court judges have recused themselves from hearing the petitions filed related to former Navy Commander, Admiral of the Fleet Wasantha Karannagoda. 

Justices Dilip Nawaz and Priyantha Fernando announced yesterday that they have recused themselves from hearing the petitions, citing personal reasons. 

The petitions, filed by the relatives of 11 youths who disappeared after being allegedly abducted in Colombo and its suburbs in 2008, challenge the Attorney General’s decision to withdraw charges against Karannagoda, who was the Navy Commander at the time.

When the petitions were taken up for consideration before a three-judge bench on Friday, Judges Nawaz and Fernando cited personal reasons for their recusal.

Accordingly, the petitions will be heard before a different bench on 15 September 2025. (Newswire)

The post Two judges recuse themselves from the Karannagoda abduction case appeared first on Newswire.

]]>