Poddala Jayantha – Newswire https://www.newswire.lk Sri Lanka's largest News aggregator Mon, 30 Jun 2025 05:49:20 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=6.8.7 https://www.newswire.lk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/favicon.png Poddala Jayantha – Newswire https://www.newswire.lk 32 32 MP Mujibur demands Rs 50M over False Defamatory Post; Journalist Apologizes https://www.newswire.lk/2025/06/30/mp-mujibur-demands-rs-50m-over-false-defamatory-post-journalist-apologizes/ Mon, 30 Jun 2025 05:41:59 +0000 https://www.newswire.lk/?p=193128

Attorney-at-Law Navodya Gamage has issued a letter of demand on behalf of Parliamentarian Mujibur Rahman, seeking Rs. 50 million inContinue Reading

The post MP Mujibur demands Rs 50M over False Defamatory Post; Journalist Apologizes appeared first on Newswire.

]]>

Attorney-at-Law Navodya Gamage has issued a letter of demand on behalf of Parliamentarian Mujibur Rahman, seeking Rs. 50 million in damages from journalist Poddala Jayantha over a Facebook post deemed defamatory.

The letter, dated June 19, 2025, accuses Jayantha of publishing a post containing false, unverified, and damaging allegations against Rahman, with the intention of misleading the public and tarnishing his reputation. It notes that the post had been widely shared—over 1,000 times—exacerbating the reputational harm.

The letter further warns that failure to pay the demanded amount will result in legal action without further notice.

In response, Poddala Jayantha issued a detailed public statement and apology on Facebook, admitting the report was erroneous and attributing the mistake to human error. He said the post was removed after discovering the information was inaccurate and that he immediately published MP Rahman’s denial with the same prominence as the original post.

Jayantha emphasized that the correction was made voluntarily and in line with media ethics. “If MP Mujibur Rahman experienced any distress or discomfort as a result of the earlier report, I express my sincere regret,” he said. (Newswire)

The post MP Mujibur demands Rs 50M over False Defamatory Post; Journalist Apologizes appeared first on Newswire.

]]>
Court order against Facebook statements of two senior journalists https://www.newswire.lk/2025/02/26/court-order-against-facebook-statements-of-two-senior-journalists/ Wed, 26 Feb 2025 04:03:13 +0000 http://www.newswire.lk/?p=176705

The Colombo High Court has issued an order to present a report regarding the Facebook posts of senior Sri LankanContinue Reading

The post Court order against Facebook statements of two senior journalists appeared first on Newswire.

]]>

The Colombo High Court has issued an order to present a report regarding the Facebook posts of senior Sri Lankan journalists Poddala Jayantha and Sanath Balasooriya.

Colombo High Court Judge Manjula Thilakaratne issued the order after the Court Registrar informed him in writing of this. 

The senior journalists are reported to have made the Facebook posts on Colombo High Court Judge Manjula Thilakaratne regarding the indictments served on SLPP MP Namal Rajapaksa over the controversial Krrish tower project.

The Court Registrar had informed the judge that the statements were considered contempt of court and requested a suitable order to be issued on the matter.

Responding to the request, the Colombo High Court Judge ordered a report to be submitted with the said Facebook statements, after which he would issue a suitable order. 

Senior Sri Lankan journalists Poddala Jayantha and Sanath Balasooriya currently reside overseas, after being abducted and assaulted during the Presidency of Mahinda Rajapaksa. (Newswire)

The post Court order against Facebook statements of two senior journalists appeared first on Newswire.

]]>