S.M. Marikkar – Newswire https://www.newswire.lk Sri Lanka's largest News aggregator Mon, 10 Aug 2026 05:41:31 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=6.8.8 https://www.newswire.lk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/favicon.png S.M. Marikkar – Newswire https://www.newswire.lk 32 32 Port City residents’ right to vote in LG elections questioned at SOC https://www.newswire.lk/2026/08/10/port-city-residents-right-to-vote-in-lg-elections-questioned-at-soc/ Mon, 10 Aug 2026 05:41:31 +0000 https://www.newswire.lk/?p=249316

Fundamental rights of citizens are being violated as residents of Colombo Port City remain unable to cast their ballots inContinue Reading

The post Port City residents’ right to vote in LG elections questioned at SOC appeared first on Newswire.

]]>

Fundamental rights of citizens are being violated as residents of Colombo Port City remain unable to cast their ballots in local council elections, warned MP S.M. Marikkar, Chairman of the Sectoral Oversight Committee on Infrastructure and Strategic Development.

During a recent meeting with officials, Marikkar pointed out that while Port City residents are registered under the Colombo District, they cannot vote in local council elections. 

“If there is a presidential or parliamentary election, they can cast their ballots under Colombo District. But in a local council election, they have no place to vote. This is a violation of their fundamental rights,” he said, adding that a separate local council may need to be created specifically for Port City.

Officials, however, noted that a 2019 Gazette issued by the Minister of Internal and Home Affairs and Provincial Councils and Local Government had already included Port City land as part of the Colombo Administrative District under Section 3 of the Administrative Districts Act No. 22 of 1995. 

They argued that this addresses concerns regarding district‑level representation.

Marikkar countered that while the Gazette ensures inclusion for islandwide and district elections, it does not resolve the issue of local authority representation. 

He cautioned that if the matter is taken to court, it could delay the Port City project. (Newswire)

The post Port City residents’ right to vote in LG elections questioned at SOC appeared first on Newswire.

]]>
Eran Wickramaratne to cricket administration? S.M. Marikkar responds to reports https://www.newswire.lk/2026/04/22/eran-wickramaratne-to-cricket-administration-s-m-marikkar-responds-to-reports/ Wed, 22 Apr 2026 08:06:38 +0000 https://www.newswire.lk/?p=232842

Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) MP S.M. Marikkar has claimed that the government may be considering changes to the administration ofContinue Reading

The post Eran Wickramaratne to cricket administration? S.M. Marikkar responds to reports appeared first on Newswire.

]]>

Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) MP S.M. Marikkar has claimed that the government may be considering changes to the administration of Sri Lanka Cricket in a bid to gain public popularity ahead of May Day.

Speaking to the media, Marikkar said reports suggest the President may remove the current Sri Lanka Cricket administration and appoint a new board as a “popular decision” before May 1.

He alleged that the government was concerned about turnout for May Day rallies, claiming the SJB would stage the largest rally this year.

Marikkar said the SJB would limit its May Day activities to a rally due to the Poya holiday falling on the same day, and would not hold parades or other celebrations.

Responding to questions on reports that former SJB MP Eran Wickramaratne could be given a role in a new interim cricket administration, Marikkar said he had seen the media reports but had no confirmed information.

He added that Wickramaratne had played cricket during his school days, but said he could not verify whether the reports were true or false.

Several local media outlets have recently reported that the government is considering changes to the administration of Sri Lanka Cricket and has held discussions with cricket officials locally and internationally.

In March, Sports Minister Sunil Kumara Gamage publicly stated that discussions were underway with the International Cricket Council regarding the matter. (Newswire)

The post Eran Wickramaratne to cricket administration? S.M. Marikkar responds to reports appeared first on Newswire.

]]>
SJB will only join hands with UNP, no alliance with Rajapaksas: Marikkar https://www.newswire.lk/2026/04/06/sjb-will-only-join-hands-with-unp-no-alliance-with-rajapaksas-marikkar/ Mon, 06 Apr 2026 04:08:20 +0000 https://www.newswire.lk/?p=230440

The Opposition, Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) party, will only join hands with the United National Party (UNP), SJB MP S.M.Continue Reading

The post SJB will only join hands with UNP, no alliance with Rajapaksas: Marikkar appeared first on Newswire.

]]>

The Opposition, Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) party, will only join hands with the United National Party (UNP), SJB MP S.M. Marikkar said.

“Imagine I got together with a girl. The father opposes. We run away and get married. The father falls sick, and we have arrived at the ancestral home to see the father. So, we can stay at the father’s home, right?” MP Marikkar said, describing the UNP as the home of origin. 

Addressing a public event, MP Marikkar said the SJB, which has a right-wing political culture and has no allegations, will never join hands with those who are accused of bankrupting the nation. 

“A court ruling has been given, stating that Mahinda Rajapaksa, Gotabaya Rajapaksa, and Ajith Nivard Cabraal are responsible for bankrupting Sri Lanka. Can we form an alliance with them?” he further said, explaining the SJB’s decision. (Newswire)

The post SJB will only join hands with UNP, no alliance with Rajapaksas: Marikkar appeared first on Newswire.

]]>
Why Harsha was not given SJB Colombo leadership? https://www.newswire.lk/2025/02/18/why-harsha-was-not-given-sjb-colombo-leadership/ Tue, 18 Feb 2025 11:02:11 +0000 http://www.newswire.lk/?p=175687

Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) MP S.M. Marikkar says MP Harsha de Silva was not given the party’s Colombo Leadership dueContinue Reading

The post Why Harsha was not given SJB Colombo leadership? appeared first on Newswire.

]]>

Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) MP S.M. Marikkar says MP Harsha de Silva was not given the party’s Colombo Leadership due to party policy.

Addressing the media today, MP Marikkar said previously he had lost out on a similar position due to recommendations being made against the appointment, after which the party leader had assumed the post.

“Even though I was the second highest to have obtained votes, recommendations were made not to appoint me as it could result in an issue. Then it was advised for the party leader to take over the post,” he explained. 

Stating that a similar occurrence had taken place regarding Harsha de Silva’s appointment this time, MP Marikkar said it seems the party leader intends to continuously hold on to the position. 

“In politics, we need to be patient and must endure certain incidents. We will always not get what we want. Even though we are elected as Members of Parliament, there are times when we have to fight to obtain an opportunity to address the House. These are common occurrences,” he added. 

MP Marikkar’s comments come in response to a question raised by a journalist over the controversy over MP Harsha de Silva’s appointment, which was seen as an internal power struggle within the SJB recently.

MP Harsha de Silva had also recently expressed his dissatisfaction after SJB and Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa was granted the Colombo District leadership, sidelining his aspirations for the role. (Newswire)

The post Why Harsha was not given SJB Colombo leadership? appeared first on Newswire.

]]>
Marikkar responds to viral video with President https://www.newswire.lk/2024/09/03/marikkar-responds-to-viral-video-with-president/ Tue, 03 Sep 2024 10:50:38 +0000 http://www.newswire.lk/?p=157712

Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) MP S.M.Marikkar has responded to a viral video on social media of a conversation with PresidentContinue Reading

The post Marikkar responds to viral video with President appeared first on Newswire.

]]>

Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) MP S.M.Marikkar has responded to a viral video on social media of a conversation with President Ranil Wickremesinghe on the issuance of vehicle permits for Parliamentarians. 

Responding to queries on the video, MP Marikkar told the media that the conversation had taken place during a funeral and in the presence of the public, but had been recorded by the President.

“A few months ago, I met the President at a funeral in Piliyandala. The President himself invited me for a chat. At the time, the President inquired about my opinion on giving vehicle permits to Parliamentarians. I said as the Finance Minister, he has the power to sign the proposal and to go ahead and do what he wants,” he said, divulging details of the conversation.

MP Marikkar further said that the President had released the audio of the conversation a few days ago, which is several months after the incident. 

Stating that at the time, the President had informed him that the conversation was recorded, MP Marikkar said he had no worries as the conversation had taken place openly in public.

MP Marrikkar pointed out that he had previously refused the President’s offer for a ministerial portfolio under the government formed with the support of the Rajapaksas, and that he has no intention of joining that group. (Newswire) 

The post Marikkar responds to viral video with President appeared first on Newswire.

]]>
SJB questions why President repeating 2023 statement https://www.newswire.lk/2024/06/24/sjb-questions-why-president-repeating-2023-statement/ Mon, 24 Jun 2024 11:53:35 +0000 http://www.newswire.lk/?p=150787

Sri Lanka’s main Opposition party, the Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) has questioned the motive behind the President’s re-announcement of SriContinue Reading

The post SJB questions why President repeating 2023 statement appeared first on Newswire.

]]>

Sri Lanka’s main Opposition party, the Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) has questioned the motive behind the President’s re-announcement of Sri Lanka having come out of bankruptcy.

Addressing the media, SJB MP S.M. Marikkar said in March last year the President had announced that Sri Lanka was no longer deemed to be in bankruptcy.

MP Marikkar questioned what the President intends by re-announcing the same during his special address to the nation scheduled for Wednesday this week. 

“I am afraid if the President is going to make such a statement and then prepare to impose taxes on houses or increase taxes in other sectors. Under such a situation, the people will not be able to live but will have to die,” he said. 

Stating that next month the National Election Commission will attain powers to announce the next election, MP Marikkar said the latest attempt by the President is a new ploy by the government.

The SJB MP also revealed that recent surveys have shown that the President is at the bottom in popularity and this was his way of playing mind games with a portion of voters who are yet to decide on their voting candidate. (Newswire)

The post SJB questions why President repeating 2023 statement appeared first on Newswire.

]]>