Security Council – Newswire https://www.newswire.lk Sri Lanka's largest News aggregator Thu, 06 Nov 2025 04:39:26 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=6.8.8 https://www.newswire.lk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/favicon.png Security Council – Newswire https://www.newswire.lk 32 32 Sajith backs India’s bid for permanent UN Security Council seat https://www.newswire.lk/2025/11/06/sajith-backs-indias-bid-for-permanent-un-security-council-seat/ Thu, 06 Nov 2025 04:39:26 +0000 https://www.newswire.lk/?p=209476

Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa, who is on an official visit to India, has backed India’s long-pending bid for a permanentContinue Reading

The post Sajith backs India’s bid for permanent UN Security Council seat appeared first on Newswire.

]]>

Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa, who is on an official visit to India, has backed India’s long-pending bid for a permanent seat at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).

During an interview with Indian media ANI, Premadasa called it a recognition of “global power realities” and that he will continue to support that effort.

Premadasa said India’s inclusion in the UNSC “would be a recognition of the practical realities of international politics.”

“Years before, it was I who spoke openly about India being given a permanent seat in the UN Security Council. So it’s an old topic for me,” he said. “I will continue to support that effort, and I think that is a practical exposition of global power realities. You cannot discard India. You cannot marginalise India. India’s representation at the UNSC would be a recognition of the practical realities of international politics.”

Premadasa’s comments come at a time when India continues to push for reforms in the UNSC to make it more representative of emerging powers and developing nations.

When asked about Sri Lanka’s stance amid the complex India-China dynamic, Premadasa emphasised that Colombo values its “special strategic relationship” with New Delhi while maintaining ties with all nations.

“I can tell you what we believe in as a party, the main opposition party. We believe in having a special relationship, a special strategic relationship with India, and that relationship is very special,” he said.

“In that context, we also have to work with all other countries. Our common objective is to promote peace. Peacebuilding is our objective. While maintaining this special relationship with India, we would like to act as a mediator, as the middle person to bring about peace, harmony, security and tranquillity in all the regions you spoke about,” he added.

During his visit, Premadasa met External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Tuesday, where both leaders discussed India-Sri Lanka relations under the “Neighbourhood First” policy.

“Pleased to meet Leader of Opposition @sajithpremadasa of Sri Lanka. Discussed India-Sri Lanka relations and our Neighbourhood First policy. India will always be supportive of progress and development in Sri Lanka,” Jaishankar wrote on X after the meeting.

Earlier in the day, Premadasa attended a talk at Sapru House organised by the Indian Council of World Affairs (ICWA), where he highlighted the need for a structured approach to resolve the long-standing fishermen issue between the two nations.

“The fishing issue is very important. The two countries must cooperate and establish a proper, workable framework, one that is based on fact and substance,” Premadasa said in a reply to a question by ANI at an event titled ‘India-Sri Lanka Bilateral Relations’ here.

He cited international conventions like the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and urged both sides to ensure that fishing activities remain legal and sustainable.

“There are international laws and regulations under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) concerning the continental shelf and high seas, which must be respected. It is important to ensure that illegal, unregulated, and unreported fishing is addressed in line with these legal prescriptions,” he added.

Acknowledging the livelihood concerns of fishermen, he said, “We understand that this involves the livelihood of households, but it is equally important to ensure that all such income-generation methods are lawful. Rather than operating without a clear and permanent framework, both sides should work together toward a lasting solution.”

His remarks come amid ongoing tensions over Tamil Nadu fishermen entering Sri Lankan waters near Katchatheevu, often leading to arrests and maritime disputes. (Newswire/ ANI)

The post Sajith backs India’s bid for permanent UN Security Council seat appeared first on Newswire.

]]>
US-Israel-Iran : Pakistan, China and Russia push for ceasefire https://www.newswire.lk/2025/06/23/us-israel-iran-pakistan-china-and-russia-push-for-ceasefire/ Mon, 23 Jun 2025 04:51:35 +0000 https://www.newswire.lk/?p=192152

The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has convened an emergency session after the US-led strikes on Iranian nuclear sites, promptingContinue Reading

The post US-Israel-Iran : Pakistan, China and Russia push for ceasefire appeared first on Newswire.

]]>

The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has convened an emergency session after the US-led strikes on Iranian nuclear sites, prompting sharp rebukes from several member states and renewed calls for a ceasefire in the Middle East, while allies Israel and the US lauded the attack.

Russia, China and Pakistan have proposed a resolution demanding an “immediate and unconditional ceasefire”, according to diplomats familiar with the draft circulated on Sunday. While the proposal does not explicitly name the United States or Israel, it condemns the attacks on Iranian nuclear facilities. A vote has not yet been scheduled.

To pass, the resolution requires the backing of at least nine members and no vetoes from the five permanent members – China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the US. This makes it a non-starter since the US will not censure itself.

Speaking to the UNSC, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned that the region was standing “on the brink of a deadly downward spiral”.

“The bombing of Iranian nuclear facilities by the United States marks a perilous turn in a region that is already reeling,” Guterres said. “We now risk descending into a rathole of retaliation after retaliation. We must act – immediately and decisively – to halt the fighting and return to serious, sustained negotiations on the Iran nuclear programme.”

Acting US Ambassador Dorothy Shea defended the military action, saying that Washington had moved to dismantle Iran’s enrichment capacity to protect both US citizens and allies.

“The time finally came for the United States, in defence of its ally and our own interests, to act decisively,” Shea told the chamber. “Iran should not escalate… Any Iranian attack, direct or indirect, against Americans or American bases will be met with devastating retaliation.”

Iran’s ambassador, Ali Bahreini, said the Israeli and US attacks on Iran did not come about “in a vacuum” and were the result of “politically motivated actions” of the US and its European partners.

He said the US “decided to destroy diplomacy”. He pointedly made it clear that the Iranian military will decide on the  “timing, nature and scale” of its response.

Meanwhile, Israel’s UN envoy, Danny Danon, said the attacks had made the world “a safer place”, rejecting calls for condemnation. When asked whether Israel supported regime change in Tehran, he said, “That’s for the Iranian people to decide, not for us.”

China’s ambassador, Fu Cong, condemned the US strikes and urged restraint. “We call for an immediate ceasefire,” he said. “China is deeply concerned about the risk of the situation getting out of control.”

Russia’s UN envoy, Vasily Nebenzya, described the attacks as yet another sign of Washington’s disregard for global norms. “The US has opened a Pandora’s box,” he said. “No one knows what catastrophe or suffering will follow.”

Pakistan’s ambassador, Asim Iftikhar Ahmad, also condemned the US bombing as deeply troubling. “The sharp rise in tensions and violence as a result of Israeli aggression and unlawful actions is profoundly disturbing,” he said. “Pakistan stands in solidarity with the government and brotherly people of Iran during this challenging time.”

This comment comes a day after Pakistan suggested that US President Donald Trump be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Trump’s announcement that US forces had “obliterated” Iran’s key nuclear sites marked the most significant Western military action against Tehran since the 1979 revolution.

The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Grossi, told the UNSC that while the scale of underground damage remained unclear, impact craters were visible at the Fordow enrichment site. The entrances to tunnels at the Isfahan site appeared to have been struck, while Natanz – long a target of Israeli sabotage – had been hit again.

Iran has castigated Grossi for being complicit in paving the way for Israel and the US to attack it.

The IAEA’s Board of Governors approved a resolution declaring Iran was not complying with its commitment to international nuclear safeguards the day before Israel launched its initial attack on June 13. (Al Jazeera)

The post US-Israel-Iran : Pakistan, China and Russia push for ceasefire appeared first on Newswire.

]]>