The group of representatives of the public protest held at the Galle Face Green in Colombo has handed over their joint declaration to the newly appointed Prime Minister of Sri Lanka Ranil Wickremesinghe.
The joint declaration of the ‘Aragalaya’, as the protest is now commonly known, consists of an 8-point list of demands representing the views of all groups participating in the protest.
The group of representatives of the Aragalaya yesterday briefed the media on the summary of the joint declaration, and also called on the new Prime Minister to heed the voices of the people and act soon.
The demands are as follows:
- President Gotabaya Rajapaksa must resign
- An interim government limited to 15 ministers that remains for a period of 18-months
- Essential amendments to the Constitution, such as repealing the 20th Amendment and bringing in the new 21st Amendment
- The economic crisis, requests for a relief budget and social security net for vulnerable communities
- Audit of current elected officials
- Transparent surveillance of all crimes that have been committed financial and otherwise
- The Right to life which is the Fundamental Rights of all citizens
- Fair and Independent Elections
Here is @kavindya_T articulating the joint declaration of the Aragalaya – a 8 point list of demands representing views of ALL GROUPS at the Aragalaya at Galle Face #GotaGoGama
Youth hav shown their diversity doesnt stop them coming together for common good. 👏👏 Pols pl learn! pic.twitter.com/2yoU8j1oVD
— Kishan කරුණාරත්න (@kishankaru) May 13, 2022