A new gazette notification has been issued making it mandatory for professionals from 14 categories to be registered with the Department of Inland Revenue.
Doctors, Engineers, Chartered Accountants, Architects, and Attorneys-at-Law of the Supreme Court, among others, are on the list of selected professionals.
The eligible professionals are required to register with the Department of Inland Revenue from today, June 1st, 2023.
1. Practitioners registered with the Sri Lanka Medical Council
2. Members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka
3. Members of the Institute of Certified Management Accountants of Sri Lanka
4. Members of the Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka
5. Members of the Association of Professional Bankers
6. Members of the Sri Lanka Institute of Architects
7. Members of the Institute of Quantity Surveyors Sri Lanka
8. Attorneys-at-Law of the Supreme Court of Sri Lanka
9. Individuals who have registered their businesses in Divisional Secretariats
10. Individuals who are in possession of vehicles registered (other than three-wheelers, motorcycles and hand tractors) in Motor Traffic Department
11. Individuals who have purchased or acquired, by virtue of Deeds Transfer, of any immovable property in Sri Lanka on or after April 01, 2018
12. Employees whose monthly contribution from both employee and employer to any Provident Fund is more than Rs. 20,000
13. Any individual who obtains approval for a building plan from a Local Authority
14. Any other individual who receives payment of Rs. 100,000 per month or Rs. 1,200,000 for a 12-month period for providing any services in Sri Lanka
In addition, any individual who does not belong to any of the aforementioned categories, but is aged 18 years or more as at December 31, 2023, or attains the age of 19 years on or after January 01, 2024, is also required to register themselves with the IRD. (NewsWire)