Sri Lankan cricketer Danushka Gunathilaka will head to trial to fight the allegation he raped a woman at her home in Sydney last year, according to NCA NewsWire.
Danushka Gunathilaka was charged with four counts of sexual intercourse without consent before the majority of the charges were withdrawn last month.
The cricketer formally pleaded not guilty to the single remaining charge of rape in Sydney Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday.
He was committed for trial to the District Court at a later date.
Police allege Gunathilaka matched with a woman on a dating app while he was in Sydney for the T20 World Cup last year. He allegedly chatted with the woman a number of times online before they met on November 2.
Police allege the cricketer engaged in “forceful” intercourse with the woman during which he choked the woman three times.
The court was told the remaining sexual assault charge related to “stealthing”, the non-consensual removal of a condom during sex.
Danushka Gunathilaka has been stranded in Australia since he was arrested over the charges last year. The court was told he had surrendered his passport and must report to the police once a day as part of his bail conditions.
A $200,000 surety was also deposited to ensure the Sri Lankan national would attend court when required. (NewsWire)