
Donald Trump has again threatened to bomb Oman if it “gets in the way” of a US deal with Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.
The US president issued the threat on Monday as efforts to resolve the conflict with Iran remain stalled, nearly six months after the war began.
Trump has repeatedly said the war would end “soon” and has touted the prospect of a lasting peace deal, but no breakthrough has been reached. A 60-day negotiating window also expired on Monday without an agreement.
The Strait of Hormuz — a crucial chokepoint for global trade through which about one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas supplies passed before the war — remains severely restricted. Shipping traffic fell sharply over the weekend, with five commodity vessels passing through on Saturday and none recorded on Sunday.
Iran and Oman are currently working towards an agreement on maritime navigation arrangements through the strait, with Iranian officials saying the two sides have reached an understanding on a transit route and are working on a joint statement.
“If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the s*** out of them,” Trump told Fox News on Monday, referring to the talks between Oman and Iran over the strait.
Trump had also threatened in May to “blow up” Oman if it failed to “behave”. He said last week that he would seek to declare the Strait of Hormuz “a territory of the United States.”
The remarks come as Washington continues to push for the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, while negotiations between the US and Iran remain stalled. (Newswire)
