Govt takes diplomatic steps after Sri Lankan in Gaza flotilla intercepted by Israel

May 19, 2026 at 5:31 PM

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has taken measures to ensure the safety and welfare of Sri Lankan national Sameera Mehboobdeen, who was among the participants of the Gaza‑bound Global Sumud Flotilla reportedly intercepted by Israeli authorities.

Deputy Foreign Minister Arun Hemachandra told Parliament that Sri Lanka’s embassy in Tel Aviv has formally requested consular access to confirm Mehboobdeen’s condition, ensure her safety, and verify the legal and procedural aspects of her detention

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is closely following the situation surrounding Sameera Mehboobdeen, a Sri Lankan national who is reported to have been among the participants of the Gaza-bound Flotilla. According to the information available to us, the flotilla was intercepted by Israeli authorities, and several persons on board are reported to have been taken into custody. The ministry has already taken action through relevant diplomatic channels. Our embassy in Tel Aviv has formally requested consular access to Sameera from the Israeli authorities. The purpose of this request is to confirm her present condition, ensure her safety, and verify her well-being. And verify the legal and procedural process relating to her detention,” he said.

The minister further said that the government does not wish to make premature conclusions on the interception of the flotilla, but will continue to monitor the matter closely.

“At this stage, the government does not wish to make premature conclusions on all matters surrounding the interception of the flotilla. However, our position is very clear, whatever the circumstances, the safety, welfare, legal rights and dignity of the Sri Lankan national concerned must be protected. We are continuing our engagement with the relevant authorities through our embassy in Tel Aviv and other official channels. We are also seeking verified information through official channels rather than relying on media reports and unofficial channels. The ministry will continue to monitor the matter closely and will take all necessary steps to ensure that Sameera Mehboobdeen receives consular protection and due process,” he added.

Deputy Minister Hemachandra assured that the government will take all necessary steps to ensure that Sameera Mehboobdeen receives consular protection and due process.

Meanwhile, a protest was staged in front of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs by the Free Palestine Movement, demanding that the government take urgent measures to secure Mehboobdeen’s release.

Protesters condemned the interception and called for her safety to be guaranteed.

Mehboobdeen had departed Sri Lanka in April to join the Global Sumud Flotilla, an international mission involving activists from nearly 100 countries aimed at breaking the blockade of Gaza.

More than 50 vessels set sail from Marmaris, Turkey, last week in what organizers described as the final leg of the journey to Gaza’s shores.

The Israeli Navy began intercepting the flotilla on Monday, weeks after a previous attempt was thwarted and two activists were detained. (Newswire)