FSP moves Court of Appeal against passing coal losses on to public

May 21, 2026 at 3:42 PM

The Frontline Socialist Party (FSP) announced today that it has filed a case before the Court of Appeal seeking to block the government from recovering losses caused by importing substandard coal through electricity tariffs or tax revenue.

Issuing a statement, FSP Education Secretary Pubudu Jayagoda said the party is demanding accountability from those responsible for the losses, rather than burdening the public.

“Because of importing substandard coal, electricity generation fell below the expected level, and the shortfall had to be covered with high‑priced diesel fuel, causing a huge loss. The financial loss from damage to boilers, environmental costs not accounted for, and fuel losses could exceed Rs. 20 billion. The government is trying to impose this loss on the people, who are already burdened by the cost of living. That cannot be allowed,” Jayagoda stated.

The FSP has requested the Court of Appeal to issue a prohibitory order against charging the public, a mandamus order to recover losses from the importing company, politicians, and officials involved, an interim order preventing electricity tariff hikes until the case concludes, and a writ order annulling the Gazette notification on tariff increases.

Jayagoda accused both the government and the parliamentary opposition of trivializing the issue.

“The opposition, which has no other opinion about the energy sector, has reduced this whole problem to mere theft. The government too is staging a drama, pretending to investigate since 2009, while in reality pickpocketing the people,” he charged.

The FSP noted that reports on the losses had already been released by the Ceylon Electricity Board in February, the Public Utilities Commission in March, and the National Audit Commission in April, but no investigations were called. 

Instead, a commission was appointed, which the party described as suspicious.

Jayagoda added that remarks made by JVP General Secretary Tilvin Silva on May 1, criticizing the commission’s report, further intensified doubts.

“Therefore, the Frontline Socialist Party decided not to become actors in this drama but to take legal action in defense of the people’s rights,” Jayagoda said. (Newswire)